Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Runner

I have a rule:

I exercise the dog at least an hour six days a week, unless I'm in pain or running a fever, which means I hike trails or I walk along the road just outside the apple farm where I live to keep in shape and get the dog out of her pen.

He runs--he runs like a Thoroughbred on a flat track.

I see him a few days a week on one of the trails I visit. He usually says "hi" as he flies past me.

We parked next to each other one day, at the start of the hike. There he was, changing his clothes with just a towel around his waist.

I couldn't help but stare at him, wondering in fascination and horror if he was going to accidentally drop the towel.

Instead of letting the moment go by awkwardly, he asked about Beck. Is she a Doberman? 

Yes. 

She's very beautiful. It seemed like she wanted to go with me when I went by you.

Yes. How long did you run? About two hours right?

Yeah, I ran to Costco. It was about eleven miles. 

He has dark, slightly curly hair, clinging to the sides of his face from sweat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment