Monday, August 21, 2023

Do You Know What a Brain Chain Is?

 Do you know what a brain chain is? I do. But I've never put one on a horse. So, I lost points there. And then, when I put it on his horse, it was on backwards. More lost points. 

I've been trying to figure out why Mr. Short didn't want me to go to more horse shows with him after the end of my agreed pay at this last one. Before we started, we had a conversation that if things went right, if we liked each other, we would be open to the idea of going down the road, as they say, for futurity season. Well, three days later (long days later), as he was handing me my check, he said "I don't know where we're going next, but I have your number, if I need you, I'll call you." 

Lopers have a tough job. Preparing a horse for the show pen is a gritty job, especially if the horse is green, fresh or inexperienced in the show pen. The two horses I prepared for Mr. Short were green and had not been shown very much. One mare, Barbie, had been described as being "hard" to get ready for her run. The first day, I did it. She was perfect for her two and a half minutes. Mr. Short was telling me, "I'm proud of you, girl." Unfortunately, the next day, as he left the show pen, he described the mare as "not down enough." And then the next, she didn't get enough medicine (which is against association rules). I wanted to get the mare out of her stall very early in the day, and Mr. Short made me put her back. I was planning on getting her very tired. But I can't work magic in the time frame he gave me (he told me to saddle her up one set before hers). 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment