Saturday, February 10, 2018

Month One

"Don't you think it was strange that he asked why I was hanging onto this so tightly--why I was so 'concerned' about him? I mean, isn't the answer kind of obvious? Why ask a question that you already know the answer to? Did he just want to humiliate me somehow when I answered that I loved him, so he could say, 'well, I don't love you back...I'm in love with this new person...I've moved on,' or something similar? Did he want to trap me into saying something to embarrass myself? Or did he really need to hear that I cared about him? Because the last time we saw each other, I told him that I loved him, and his answer was, 'no, you don't.' "

"We probably won't ever know the answer to those questions," the imaginary female therapist answers in her coolly objective manner. "You would have to ask him, directly, and you won't have that opportunity. At least for a while, and maybe never."

"Why would he want to humiliate me? Because if I said, 'it's because I love you,' that's me being vulnerable."

"Maybe he doesn't understand himself well enough to understand why he said it. Maybe he does. It's hard to say from what little evidence we have to work with."

"You know what is the sick part? Last time we had a conversation over the phone, granted he was drunk, but he said, 'I've been a dick to you' when I told him that I cared about him, that I worried about him, wondered how he was doing. And you know what, I didn't correct him. But he knows how he's treated me isn't right. He knows. He has a soul, but at the same time, he can be merciless and cruel. It's like now, he no longer has a use for me, so he wants to get rid of me..."

"People outgrow relationships and they move on. It's a natural part of life. And yes, it hurts. That doesn't make it hurt any less."

No comments:

Post a Comment