Friday, October 28, 2016

Therapy in a Honda Civic

My therapist called in sick today. If you add up the absences of both my therapist and case manager, one of them is out every couple of weeks.

The case manager and I are driving to a nearby town in a practically new, white Honda Civic with back up cameras and a bunch of other accessories that you wouldn't expect to find in a basic car like this one.

"How do you feel about your relationship with [therapist]?" She asks me.

It's really not a subject I want to dive into. When I tell her I'm not quite satisfied, she launches into a debate about how social workers are better than MFT's in providing "hands on" help or support.

This is something I don't entirely buy, but don't have much data to back up my opinion.

"It's unethical for a therapist to give you her opinion," the case manager concludes.

What the fuck? Isn't that why you pay a therapist--for their feedback and ideas?  Modern day psychotherapy is not like psychodynamics of the past, where you just lie back on a couch and spill your every thought.

I start to argue with her, but quickly realize that it's pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment