Thursday, May 25, 2017

Family Lies and Other Ties, Part II

My uncle and my grandmother and I are sitting down in a booth to have lunch. I'm working on my first beer, and reading news on Facebook (from reliable sources like the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Atlantic and the New Yorker).

My uncle speaks into his phone, "Google, find Western Exterminators."

The salads had just shown up.

"Are you going to call them?" My uncle asks me.

"What do you mean?" I say. "I'm on Facebook right now."

"Get off of Facebook, and call Western Exterminators," he demands.

I do like I'm asked, and I talk on the phone with a representative while my uncle and my grandmother eat their salads.

The main course has arrived, and I'm still on the phone. I sneak in bites of french fries during the conversation with the bug killers.

"Just make this go away, just one more peaceful day..."

--Staind, "It's Been a While"

No comments:

Post a Comment