Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The Lady's Last Thought

I learned through a few private sessions with Stanford's psychologists on the unit, going through all the messed up shit that happened before my semester even began. I also attended group meetings on the ward, and that helped also. Although these "gifts of insight" never come as planned. They just happen.

When you talk about core beliefs in cognitive behavioral theory, I really believe that you're ventured into psychodynamic territory, which is refreshing. What's a core belief you have about yourself?

I learned that I had  two that governs my everyday experience. One, is that I'm stupid. Two, is that I'm unattractive.

The idea, though, is to change these harmful beliefs. How? Maybe you have a good couple of years, you lose weight, you finish graduate school, and then in some twist in your life story, all those fears come right back up--it starts small of course, some extra ice-cream because work is stressful, with the thought that "I'm not equipped to handle this, and my peers are doing much better than me."

I love my greatest rationalization: I might as well eat. 

An enormous amount of my day is spent worrying about my physical appearance . Every women knows that a impulsive need to touch the dress they are wearing--is to admit, in some way, that the dress frightens them because social expectations are surrounding that dress, and you pull on the skirt because it's just too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment