Sunday, August 7, 2016

Rough Divorce, Part II

In his most recent email, The LSU Professor warned me against Morpheus, saying that I should be very careful with my heart. He stated that his divorce was rough too--but it never finished.

In my reading, I learned that on the average, people who stay married (even through difficult times) seem to be happier than those who divorce. I blame that on how we grow accustomed to even dreadful circumstances if we accept them and are unable (perhaps temporarily or perhaps more permanently) to change them without giving something substantial up. For instance, my situation at the hospital is always very restrictive, and I have few personal freedoms and/or privacy, but after a day, all of this seems normal and comforting. Granted being in a psychiatric ward is not the same as being in legal union. But don't you give up certain freedoms anyway for the stability of a marriage? You are forced to make choices--especially if children are involved. So many women (and men) lose their personal development and goals to become a full time parent. Not to say that individuals don't find great fulfillment in being a mother or a father--but others concede that they put off their own personal interests because of the family responsibilities--never to get that time back.


No comments:

Post a Comment