Monday, August 8, 2016

Why English 156 Wasn't Easy, Part VIII

I don't even remember what they said specifically.

Most days starting English 156, the English instructor would put up a news article (strangely nothing about Trump or anything overtly political), and our duty was to write a short response to it in our journals (which I lost, and therefore didn't obtain any credit despite doing the work).

This particular morning the English instructor displayed a news item about a boy diagnosed with bipolar disorder, who brought two guns to school. The question posed was: should the boy be allowed to return to school? The article briefly mentioned that he was now doing well due to taking a mood stabilizer.

The answer to this is fairly evident because of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 which insists on fair and equal education to delinquent children and children with disabilities.

When asked by the instructor to discuss the topic, no one brought up the Act, including myself, who didn't learn about it until shortly after we had moved on to something else.

And because of this, many of the students were against the boy returning to public school.

"This article just perpetuates the stigma of mental illness," I began. "People with bipolar disorder or any other type of mental illness are much more likely to be victims of violent crime than perpetrators."

Of course the students made various comments about bipolar disorder (no one stopped to think that perhaps his bringing the guns to school had nothing to do with his mood disorder since the vast majority of people with bipolar disorder are not violent).

Finally, one female student behind me said, "I worked at [state hospital]..."

"Yes, I remember you telling me about that," the English instructor comments.

The woman continues with the statement that the patients would attack without being provoked, and that "people with mental illness don't change."

In her defense, I know of the hospital and its bad reputation. It treats forensic psychiatric patients, people who have committed crimes. Individuals with mental illness do break the law, just like individuals who are mentally sound.

Never mind that. I was instantly pissed off. "I don't believe that's true--" I start.

The English instructor holds up his hand, signaling for me to stop. He wants to continued onto another task for that day.

I was unbelievably upset. If it were left up to this group of students, I might possibly be denied a right to attend college because I was deemed a hazard to myself and other people. After all, hadn't I been psychotic once and held against my will in a locked ward?

I sat in my seat with emotions swirling around me and overwhelming me. I couldn't think nor concentrate. I gathered up my belongings and left class. I didn't return.

When I told my mother about the incident, she said, "That's hate speech. It's like saying 'niggers are too dumb to attend college, so we just shouldn't send them.' "

Hate speech in the classroom is protected by the Supreme Court (with exception when speech means to envoke violence). Students can say whatever the fuck they want no matter the effect it has on other people. That's Freedom of Speech.

I almost withdrew from the class over the incident. But it just would be another "W" on my record and more time wasted without getting anywhere.

The next day, I tried to attend class. I made it to my desk, and then just exited out again. I spent my time in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment