Saturday, February 19, 2022

Talking to James

"Can I talk to James?" The charge nurse said, leaning forward slightly and tugging at one of her ears.  

I told her about James' helpful hint of telling me to strangling myself in the shower. "Sure," I replied, trying not to look completely surprised.

"How was James' feeling when he told you to harm yourself?"

I listen for a moment, and sure enough James responds. "He says that he is angry."

"Why is he angry?"

"He says because the nurses don't understand how severe the physical pain is."

"Uh-huh," the nurse says, taking it all in. "You know what? James is a part of you. He is like a small child, bugging you. And if you don't listen to him, he is going to get louder and louder just like a child would."

"I never thought of it that way."

No comments:

Post a Comment