Monday, June 5, 2017

"There's secrets in this life that I can't hide"

--Three Doors Down, "When I'm Gone"

 We're in the kitchen, and we've been talking for a while. Despite reassurances that he would be able to keep the house, it's in 30-day escrow. He tells me again that he has good memories of us here.

"I feel numb, and it scares me...Sometimes I don't even leave the house because I don't want to deal with people, I don't want the attention," he explains to me.

I understand the feeling. I spent years never seeing my friends, lounging around the house, depressed and lonely but unable to interact with anyone because it was so exhausting. People take effort and time and sincerity, and when you're depressed, you only have room for one, yourself. You don't have the energy to keep someone else happy or entertained because you can't even bring delight to your own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment