Monday, November 28, 2016

The Mystery of the Lost Phone

Most of what Grandma wanted to talk about once I got there in Ridgecrest was my uncle--her son.

She had many complaints about him. "He ripped the phone right out of the wall in anger, now, why would he do that?" She tells me.

I have no response to this because according to my uncle and my mother, this is simply false--but I am curious as to how my grandmother with dementia falsified the memory. In other words, where did she get her inspiration for this fiction? Did it just come into her mind from some hidden, dust-laden corner of her psyche? Or was it based on truth--only a gross extortion of it?

She claims she has no phone--which is not true, and I show her where it is--next to the wall in the TV room where it's always been (at least as long as I can remember)--only the phone line isn't hooked up. I can't find the phone line at all. She has service--because Mom paid her outstanding bill and got it working again.

No comments:

Post a Comment