Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Therapy and the Classroom

"You're preaching to the converted," the English instructor says during office hours, which instantly reminds me of my mother cautioning me not to "preach" about mental illness issues.

Isn't it ethically ambiguous (am I taking this too far?) to tell your students that if they know everything already, then they can skip out on class?

Well, if I knew everything already, I'd be God, and then, I certainly wouldn't spend my daytime hours sitting in freshman comp--I'd have bigger responsibilities like saving the world and other crap.

"We have an unwritten contract with each other," I explain to him. "You show up to teach, and I show up to listen. When one of us is not doing our jobs, then we have a problem."

Doesn't every lecture, no matter how redundant or remedial, have value as you never know what you can accomplish in a single hour or two hours? The same logic is used by Stanford to force you to show up to CBT group therapy, no matter how many times you've read from the same handout (a handout is read through in about two weeks, which means that many years ago, I went through all the material, and have just been reviewing it ever since).

No comments:

Post a Comment