Tuesday, December 6, 2016

No Place for Hate

I was slightly irritated and changed my focus to my cellphone, which contained an email from the New York Times. The session wasn't on hate speech, as I predicted, but about undocumented students who fear deportation.

The faculty leader of the forum approached me, and put his hand on my shoulder. He told me that mental health issues were also important, and thanked me for my comment to the group. I stood up, and now closely faced him. I told him that I would like to get more involved on campus in spreading awareness. He suggested a couple of names of people on campus who could help, and then went into a story about a returning student's difficulty adjusting to college life. He said to me, "I know you know how that feels." He patted me.




No comments:

Post a Comment