Saturday, July 8, 2017

Dilemma Over PeeWee

My mother told me yesterday, "They must have damaged your brain because you don't have compassion for others anymore." She also called me "selfish" because I won't help take care of PeeWee. It's true, I don't take care of PeeWee because I disagree with how she's treated. She should be put down, she has horrible quality of life, and to keep her alive just so people don't feel any guilt is selfish, and I told my mother so after she attacked me personally. No, I will not participate in what I view as cruelty.

My mother's argument is that in the mean time, between now and when the dog is euthanized, I should treat her kindly. I understand that point of view, and I don't necessarily disagree with it; however, it upsets me greatly to handle the dog at all. It's sort of like how doctors in war zones don't get to know their patients' names because to do so makes the work too personal and taxing (even though this isn't an accurate analogy, it's the best one I can come up with).

My mother told me several times that it isn't her decision to put the dog down; it's my father's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment