Friday, July 21, 2017

You Can't Contain the People You Love

"And I realized this, too: You can’t contain the people you love. You can’t contain your own love, either...

If I had learned anything from therapy, it was to pay attention to everything that lit a fire inside. Listen. Feel. Tend that flame...

Shortly after starting my new role, I went back to my therapist and told her: 'It’s been a year since we broke up. I thought my dream job and exercise would heal me, but I still think about him every day. What more can I do to let go?'

First, she told me a story about a man she loved in her early 20s, nearly 50 years ago, whom she still thinks about to this day. Then she said: 'You’re asking the wrong question. It’s not about getting over and letting go.'

'It’s about honoring what happened,' she said. 'You met a person who awoke something in you. A fire ignited. The work is to be grateful. Grateful every day that someone crossed your path and left a mark on you.' "

--"The 12-Hour Goodbye That Started Everything," by Miriam Johnson, The New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment