Saturday, September 21, 2013

GoLytely

"We're going to put a tub down your nose into your stomach," the ER doctor explained, "And then we are going to administer a solution called 'Go Lytely' at about a liter per hour until we get the results we want."

"What are the results?" I questioned

"Until your diarrhea is clear. We have to flush out all the toxins in your system."

"About how long does it take?"

"It varies--I can't say."

"It's just a small tube," one of the nurses says.

They all leave again.

One of the nurses returns with "the small tube," which doesn't look that small to me. It reminds me of all the times I watched a vet "tube" a horse, and how the horses start to breath heavy and shake their heads as the tube goes down their necks into their stomachs.

As the tube goes down, I bleed a little. Drop. Drop. On the sheet in front of me. Just as I start to gag, one of the nurses tells me to swallow the water they have for me.

They bring in a commode.

"How long do I have to use that?" I ask one of the nurses.

"As soon as the doctor says you don't, I will tell you," she responds.

No comments:

Post a Comment