Thursday, September 1, 2016

About English 201A

We are sitting in his temporary office. The English instructor has the first draft of my essay in his hands. He's not looking at me when he says, "What do you like about it and what don't you like?" This is obviously the standard, exploited question.

 I'm back in the small, cramped room with my new therapist, who isn't even a MFT, much less a psychologist, and he says to me all too eagerly, "What are three positive affirmations you can say about yourself?"

 I lie. There's nothing that I can come up with that's truthful.

 In office hours I lie again, telling him what perhaps he wants to hear--which is some semblance of an answer about the positive qualities of the paper. "I've read all the news articles I could find on Victoria's Secret and my response is unique," I try.

 Instead he should know that I just write, often being unable to interpret my own words when I am finish. I just write what is floating through my head like brewing clouds before a storm, ugly and thick and potentially dangerous.

 "What don't you like about it?" He continues. Everything. My introduction is full but makes little sense. I do not know how I would even tie it to the rest of the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment