Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Does Science Care About Jesus?

In Engl 201C class (which essentially is deductive reasoning skills mixed with literature and writing), we were discussing the "acceptability" of the statement, "Some men are mortal." I said it was acceptable, and the professor said it wasn't--because all men are mortal, not just some. I argued what about Jesus?

"I don't think science cares about Jesus," my professor replied.

I laughed a little at that. "We don't know for sure that he died, we haven't found his DNA...now, that doesn't mean he did exist, but still, we can't rule it out." Maybe Jesus was raised from the dead. How would I know?

One of the girls a few rows behind me, seemed agitated and annoyed, but holding more anxiety than anything else. "Can we just move on?" She suggested a different problem on the practice midterm.

The professor smiles at her kindly. "There are 28 different brains in this room, who all think in different ways and have different needs. We will get to your needs next."

In another comment, the professor said, "If you want to run away from discussions like these, don't be a philosophy major."

During COMM class, which was a bit odd considering the professor was in an accident, hit by a car while on a crosswalk, he told me and the rest of the group plainly, "I don't feel comfortable discussing god. That's a question for office hours."

After lecture, I apologize to him for bringing up the subject (I asked him what his opinion was on the presence of God).

This is a man who told our class a story about one of his students being sexually assaulted by his fellow friends while he was passed out drunk.

We can talk about a guy cramming up some guy's ass a Snickers bar in a condom, but we can't debate the existence of God?

I don't have the arrogance of an atheist (how do you know there's no God?) nor do I have the faith of a Christian or more broadly, that of a believer. God, to me, is an important topic, and as much as sex, it reigns first in my mind. I will more often argue for the existence of God more than I will propose the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment