Thursday, March 2, 2017

Quality of English Professors

I showed up to my Engl 201C professor's office two days in a row, once to ask about the prospects at teaching university level English, and then again to ask about how he liked my paper.

He praised my paper, and then handed it back to me.

"I was planning on writing about my first john," I say, watching his face closely. "Now, if anything like this offends you, let me know."

He replied of course not, and then proceeded to tell me about other students who have come forward with true stories of war and also of sexual assault and abuse. He stops suddenly, and says, "I'm sorry. Have I offended you?"

I had to reach up and wipe away a tear in my eye. "No...no. I'm just getting a little misty." I have been surprised at the level of quality professors in the English division at the community college. All of them so far have been very helpful and willing to go above and beyond the call of duty. I called my poetry professor on his cellphone because I was doing homework, and I didn't understand one of his study questions. Instead of pointing the finger at me for not comprehending the material, he apologized and said that maybe the question was unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment