Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Lying to the Doctors

I'm now required to go up to Stanford Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic every 2-4 week for monitoring.

I lie to my doctors, although I don't know why. They ask the usual questions: how much exercising am I getting? (I was honest here by telling them that I took a week off after the surgery, and then I haven't been hiking because the trails are either flooded out or muddy. Some trails are closed because of the rain. I just walk the dog on asphalt.)

How much have you been drinking?

I lied when I answer this, I say I haven't had a drink in two weeks. This isn't completely true. I had two glasses of wine a few days ago, but while I was on the opiates, I abstained.

Do you have a suicide plan?

No, I tell them, but this is just another lie. I think about running my SUV into the divider on the highway just about every day I travel to campus. But I don't think I would actually do it.

How much caffeine are you drinking? You said you were drinking 6 cups of coffee, but we asked that you cut that down a bit. 

I tell them I drink four cups a day, which is somewhat honest. Some days I drink four, some days I drink six.

How many hours of sleep are you getting?

I lie. I say nine when it's closer to ten to twelve, but I don't want them to conclude I'm getting more depressed because I'm sleeping longer. 

The lies themselves aren't interesting, I'm sure just about everyone has lied to their doctor at some point in time, but why do I feel like I have to lie at all? Aren't the doctors on my side? Aren't they just trying to help me?


No comments:

Post a Comment