Friday, April 14, 2017

"I Called The House But No One Answered"

"The worn out tape of Chris LeDoux, lonely women and bad booze
Seem to be the only friends I've left at all..."

--Garth Brooks, "Much Too Young"

Morpheus grabs a guitar that has been resting in the corner, although I never noticed it before. He starts to play. The sound is beautiful, even though I know he's not a professional musician. I noticed while he was playing that his boots were dusty.

"What are you playing?"

He shrugs. "Nothing in particular."

"You know, my musician ex-boyfriend told me that I should go back to singing." I was referring, of course, to Joseph.

"Then sing."

"What do you want me to sing?"

"Anything."

I start making up lyrics to go along with the guitar sounds. I sing along. It's the first time I've heard my own voice in years. It's still pretty despite the fact that I don't practice every day like I use to. At one point, years ago, I wanted to try out for American Idol, down in Los Angeles, but somehow, I never got the bravery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment