Monday, April 3, 2017

The Gift of French Fries

I had my salad and I was wandering around the community college's cafeteria with Beck trailing behind me in her blue super Service Dog vest. I was looking for an open chair at a decently clean table, which after one o' clock in the afternoon was a difficult find. College students don't clean up after themselves. I knew the Stanford University Hospital's dining hall for their G2P to be less messy.

"Are you looking for a place to sit?" He says to me.

I recognize his eyes, he has these bright, clear, blue eyes. Big, like a curious cat. "You're [Robert], right?"

He nods. He has stopped to pet Beck a few times during the past weeks, and he has talked to me a little bit about his life. He owns two Border Collies, which he insists need a job to do (which was totally true of my Border Collie, Russ). The dogs were strays that someone dropped off near his ranch. He lives a few towns away, in an even more rural area than Yuppieville.

After we talk for a little bit, he hands out a french fry, "Do you want to give this..." He leaves the question open ended.

I know he's talking about Beck, but I ask, "Is that for me or for the dog?"

"Beck," he says, remembering her name. "Come here, Beck."

Beck jumps to attention, and walks from the aisle to his side of the table. She looks at him in anticipation.

He gives her the french fry. Now, Beck is completely taken over by a large urge to consume fries, as many as she can stuff down.

"You don't have to worry. She has a gentle mouth," I say, in case he was wondering about hand feeding a ninety pound Doberman.

He keeps eating and handing her french fries. "If you don't mind me asking, what are her duties?"

I look away. Then, I decide just to be honest. "She wakes me up in the morning, and she reminds me to take my meds." Lately, however, Beck has been as lazy as I am, and is in her bed sleeping all morning long.

He smiles at me, and doesn't question which meds or what they are for. He explains that one of his relatives has a service dog, who can tell when her blood suger is too high or too low.

"That's amazing. I've heard of that, but never knew it in person."

He hasn't said my name, so I assumed he forgot.

Finally, he gets up from the table, "Well, [Jae], I have some studying to do in the library, so have a good spring break."

About thirty minutes later, I'm in the library, and I find him in one of the study rooms. He smiles at me, and waves.

I go sit down in the back where Beck won't be in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment