Friday, January 26, 2018

Lessons in Microbiology, Part II

"How many nursing students are here?" My microbiology professor asks in our first lab section. Almost everyone raises their hands, except for me and a couple of other people.

A few labs later, yesterday, I come up to him at the end, and ask, "Any parting words of wisdom?" We have a midterm on the 30th, or on Tuesday.

He is about to say "study," but then stops himself. A few other students circle around him as well, ready to listen. "Microbiology is not a complex subject, you just have to put your time in. You need to be in the 92nd percentile if you want to be a nursing student."

Damn, I thought. Good thing I don't want to be a nursing student. I just want a Ph.D.!

"I know!" One of the women says. "I'm right there! I can't afford to let this class drag me down!" She's always very nervous. We took chemistry together. She was nervous then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment